Learn 11 Crucial Things You Should Do After Your Accident
Fortunately, most of us have not been involved in several car accidents. However, this means that we are unfamiliar with what we need to do immediately after a car accident. In order to protect your rights after a car accident, you should do the following:
- Obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers involved in the car accident.
- Obtain each driver's car insurance company's name and policy number. Also, the telephone number of the insurance company would be helpful.
- Report the accident immediately to the police and your insurance company whether or not it was your fault.
- Cooperate with the police in preparing an accident report.
- Photograph the exterior and interior of the vehicles involved in the accident.
- See a physician if you are having any pain without delay. Unfortunately, most times the pain will not subside without some treatment.
- Get legal advice before filling out insurance documents or giving recorded statements to any insurance company (even your own insurance company) or meeting with any insurance company representative.
- Photograph your injuries. The bruises and cuts may heal; however, the tissue beneath the skin may not completely heal. Photographs of your bruises and cuts will support the magnitude of the injury.
- Gather all automobile insurance policies in your household for evaluation by an attorney. You may be entitled to insurance coverage for a separate insurance policy.
- Get legal advice before signing any check or document from any insurance company. Too many times, victims of car accidents are unaware of what they need to do to protect themselves. They put their trust in the insurance companies to guide them through the process. However, most insurance companies do not have the best interest of their insureds in mind.
- You should talk to a lawyer and a law firm that has the experience, dedication and ability to maximize your compensation while minimizing the frustration, delay and confusion that almost all car accident victims suffer.
If you or someone you know have any questions following an automobile accident, we are happy to answer your questions without charge.
Print this form and keep it in your car, and if you're in an accident, fill it out completely and bring it to Panter, Panter & Sampedro, P.A.