Answers to questions about on-the-job injuries

Florida construction workers are employed in an industry that has certain dangers other workers don’t face. The heavy equipment used, their exposure to electrical wiring, open trenches and elevated scaffolding are all potential safety hazards for those working in the construction industry. Below are some questions those workers may have after an injury-producing accident.

  • After an accident occurs, how long does a worker have to report it?

If you intend to make a claim for an injury, the sooner it’s reported, the better. The report should be made no more than 30 days from the accident date to avoid a denial of your claim.

  • How long does my employer have to make a report to the insurance company about my injury?

Ideally, all injuries should be immediately reported, but they do have seven days to make a report.

  • What type of medical treatment will I receive for my injury?

Once your employer or their insurance company authorizes it, their designated doctor or medical facility will provide the care and treatment, including prescription medication and/or medical devices, for your injury.

  • Who is responsible for paying my medical expenses?

Authorized medical expenses will be submitted for payment to the insurance company.

  • I can’t work with my injury. Do I get paid for the time lost from work?

That depends. Florida laws do not authorize payment for work lost during the first full week off due to your injury. But if your injury is so extensive that you are disabled for more than 21 days, you can seek payment from the insurance company for the initial week lost.

  • What do I do if my boss refuses to report my injury?

You can self-report the injury; if assistance is required, you may seek the counsel of an attorney familiar with Workers’ Compensation claims or contact the Employee Assistance Office at 800.342.1741.

Source: Division of Workers’ Compensation, “Injured Worker Frequently Asked Questions,” accessed Sep. 23, 2015