You can pursue litigation over your losses after a car accident

Car accidents aren’t uncommon, so you probably think you know what to do if you’re in one. There are some questions that you should know the answer to, though, so you know where you stand in a situation where you’re the victim of a crash.

For instance, if you’re a passenger in a vehicle and have been drinking alcohol and have an open container, you can be cited for having an open alcoholic beverage in the vehicle. However, your insurance company may not non-renew, surcharge, or cancel your insurance for this non-moving violation, helping you stay behind the wheel of your own car.

If you’re working for a company and it doesn’t want to pursue a lawsuit against the driver of a vehicle that struck you and was at fault for the accident, you do have the option of seeking compensation on your own through a civil trial. You can also make a claim against the at-fault party’s insurance, if you’re interested in receiving only your out-of-pocket expenses.

Insurance companies have no specific time limit in which to settle your claims, but once you and the company can come to an agreement for a settlement, then the company has to pay you that settlement within 20 days. If the company doesn’t do so, then you can make a claim for interest on the amount you’re owed, helping you get more money from the company that isn’t following the law.

These are just a few quick facts you may have wanted to know about your car accident. Our website has more, so you can understand where you stand before pursuing litigation.