Florida jail explosion: Claims of gas smell complaints made

Natural gas is an effective fuel source for heating water, homes and businesses. When a business or home has natural gas service, precautions must be taken to ensure that the residents or people in the building remain safe. A recent explosion at a Florida jail highlights just how important it is to be vigilant when it comes to natural gas service.

The explosion happened at the Escambia County Jail. It injured 184 people and killed two others. One person, whose mother was injured in the explosion, says that the administrators of the jail have ignored reports of a natural gas smell from inmates and employees, but that claim is being denied by officials from the county.

In the explosion, one man who works at the jail was paralyzed after being thrown through a hole in the floor caused by the explosion. The woman who voiced concerns about the complaints being made regarding the natural gas smell says that her mother was sitting at a desk when the explosion occurred. After the explosion, her mother found the man who is now paralyzed. The 55-year-old woman held the now-paralyzed man’s head above water in the flooded basement. The man suffered from a crushed shoulder blade, several crushed ribs, and a crushed vertebrae. The woman suffered bruising on her legs.

She says the disregard for life and the neglect are what upset her. She says that the explosion probably could have been prevented.

Complaints of natural gas smells in buildings must always be taken seriously. Failing to do so can lead to serious injury and property damage. Anyone who has been injured in an accident caused by someone’s negligence might be able to file a premises liability claim. Compensation may be sought for medical bills, pain and suffering, emotional trauma, lost wages and other damages.

SourceUSA Today, “Florida jail blast leaves officer paralyzed” T.S. Strickland, May. 05, 2014