Macular Degeneration Patients Suffer Strep Infection

David Sampedro of Panter, Panter & Sampedro, P.A. has been retained to represent one of the 12 individuals in South Florida who was injected with a medication believed to be contaminated with a strain of streptococcus bacteria.

According to WSVN, the Department of Health has noted that all of the patients were injected with the same medication. The Department of Health is investigating whether the medication used to treat wet macular degeneration or the syringes used to inject the mediation were the source of the contamination. The medication and syringes were distributed to various health care clinics throughout South Florida. The bacterial infection has caused some patients to lose sight to their vision. Doctors are not optimistic that patients will regain their eyesight. In Florida, the makers of products, including medication, can be held strictly liable for injuries cause by defectively manufactured goods. The Miami New Times reports that the Department of Health has taken steps to prevent additional similar infections.